Unmarried Partner Visa UK

Our family immigration lawyers have a robust track record of successfully advising and representing people who want to live in the UK on an Unmarried Partner Visa.

The Unmarried Partner Visa UK is similar to a Spouse Visa.  We have an in-depth understanding of all the requirements and will expertly prepare your application and supporting documents.

What are the requirements for obtaining an Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

To successfully obtain an Unmarried Partner Visa UK, you need to show that:

  • your partner is a British Citizen or settled in the UK (they will be the Sponsoring partner)
  • you have been living together in a relationship for at least two years before applying
  • your relationship is genuine, and you plan to continue living together in Britain
  • you and your partner have suitable accommodation 
  • the Sponsoring partner meets the minimum income requirements 
  • you can speak English to the required standard

What is the minimum income requirement?

To successfully obtain an Unmarried Partner Visa, the Sponsoring partner must earn a minimum of £18,600 per year.  If you are bringing children to the UK, you will need a further £3,800 for the first child and £2,400 for each additional child.

The English courts have stated that the Home Office needs to have regard to the welfare of any children involved in a family visa application, as per its statutory duty under section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009.  In addition, third-party funding may be considered by the Home Office decision-maker, and the income requirement can also consist of property rental income, dividends and income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds, pension income, insurance payments, maintenance payments, as well as cash savings above £16,000 which have been held for at least six months (and are not derived from the sale of property or investments in the past six months).

If you are worried that you cannot meet the minimum income requirement, speak to one of our immigration lawyers.  We will examine your situation and advise you on the best course of action to take.

Does the Unmarried Partner Visa lead to permanent settlement in the UK?

You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after five years, provided you meet the Settlement application requirements.

How do my partner and I prove our relationship is genuine?

You must provide documents to support the fact that you and your Sponsoring partner are in a genuine and subsisting relationship.  The types of documents you will need for your application include:

  • bank statements showing you have a joint account
  • joint mortgage or rental agreements
  • supporting letters from family and friends
  • utility bills (electricity, gas, etc) that are in both your names
  • historic letters, WhatsApp messages, and Skype call history that show you have been in regular contact when apart

Applying for an Unmarried Partner Visa for UK is relatively easy for those who invest in expert immigration law advice at the outset.  Our managing partner, Garth Coates, spent part of his career working for the Home Office as a decision-maker.  His knowledge and experience give our firm a unique understanding of the Home Office processes, resulting in a high visa approval success rate.

Established in 2008, Garth Coates Solicitors is a leading Immigration Law Firm that can provide professional legal advice to ensure that your Application satisfies the strict requirements of the Immigration Rules

Our team of legal professionals offers comprehensive and considered advice to enable our clients to make informed choices. We strongly believe that our clients deserve the best; we take our responsibilities very seriously to ensure that client satisfaction is achieved by providing a professional yet friendly legal service. We aim to resolve all immigration matters brought to us by working diligently and together with our clients, keeping them informed of the progress of their cases at all stages. Our outstanding success rate is maintained thanks to the high standard of our work.

If you would like us to assist you with your Immigration Matter, kindly click here to leave us an Enquiry. Alternatively, we can be reached via telephone at (00 44) (0)20 7799 1600 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (UTC+00.00 London) every Monday to Friday.