Sponsor Licence Application

The Brexit transition period ended on 31 December 2020, so, from 2021, employers who wish to employ a foreign national, whether from the EU/EEA or from outside the bloc, will need to hold a Sponsor Licence.  Our immigration solicitors have the experience and knowledge required not only to support you in applying for a Sponsor Licence but also to comply with Home Office duties and responsibilities.

At Garth Coates, we are businesspeople as well as lawyers.  We take the necessary time required to understand the commercial realities facing our clients and make certain we grasp your objectives.  This strategy ensures that the advice we provide is in line with your commercial ambitions.

Before you apply for a Sponsor Licence, our team will personally visit your premises and undertake an audit of your HR systems.  To ensure ongoing compliance, these must be capable of undertaking the required record-keeping and reporting duties.  We will then discuss the eligibility requirements for a Sponsor Licence, so you fully understand the commitment required.

What are the eligibility requirements for a Sponsor Licence?

Successful Sponsor Licence applications require proof that the organisation:

  • Is a UK business
  • Has appointed required key Personnel who are dependable and of good character
  • Has a robust HR system
  • Will be offering genuine employment and will meet the minimum income requirements

The key personnel that must be appointed are:

  • Authorising Officer – a senior individual accountable for the actions of staff and representatives who operate the Sponsor Licence Management System (SMS)
  • Key Contact – your organisation’s main contact with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) 
  • Level 1 User – responsible for the management of the SMS on a day-to-day level

You can appoint one of our team to act as one of your Key Personnel and manage your SMS on your behalf.

What documents will I need to provide for a UK Sponsor Licence?

You will be required to submit a number of documents with your Sponsor Licence application, including, but not limited to:

  • If you are a food-based business, proof you are registered with and approved by the Food Standards Agency (FSA)
  • Proof of a corporate bank account
  • Evidence that you have employer’s liability insurance of at least £5 million from an authorised insurer

Our team can help you collate the documentation required for your industry.

What can I do if my Sponsor Licence application is refused?

We can assist you if your application has been turned down by the Home Office.  If the refusal has been caused by an administrative error, for example, the decision maker misread one of your supporting documents, we will apply for a ‘pre-licence error correction’.  

It is important to note that there is no right of appeal if your Sponsor Licence application has been refused.  Therefore, it is essential to consider investing in experienced legal advice from a dedicated immigration lawyer to ensure your application is submitted correctly and you pass the Home Office pre-licence compliance visit.

Established in 2008, Garth Coates Solicitors is a leading Law Firm in Immigration who can provide professional legal advice to ensure that your Application satisfies the strict requirements of the Immigration Rules

Our team of legal professionals offer comprehensive and considered advice to enable our clients to make informed choices. We strongly believe that our clients deserve the best; we take our responsibilities very seriously to ensure that client satisfaction is achieved by providing a professional yet friendly legal service. We aim to resolve all immigration matters brought to us by working diligently and together with the client, keeping them informed of the progress of their case at all stages. Our outstanding success rate is maintained thanks to the high standard of our work.

If you would like us to assist you with your Immigration Matter, kindly click here to leave us an Enquiry. Alternatively, we can be reached via telephone at (00 44) (0)20 7799 1600 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (UTC+00.00 London) every Monday to Friday.