TIER 5 Temporary Workers

temporary workersThis category is only open to temporary workers who wish to enter the UK to undertake temporary work for a licensed sponsor. To qualify, an applicant must have:

Under this category, an applicant can enter the UK for two years at most, although charity workers are limited to 12 months. Points are awarded based on the type of sponsorship and their available maintenance funds.
Tier 5 consists of six subcategories:

Creative and Sporting Workers

This applies to individuals who want to enter the UK to work or perform as creative artists, entertainers or sportspeople for up to 12 months. A sportsperson must be internationally established at the highest level in their profession and/or their job in the UK must make a significant contribution to the development and running of the sport at the highest level in the UK.
Individuals applying as coaches must be able to demonstrate that they have suitable qualifications.

Charity Workers

This applies to those looking to enter the UK to undertake unpaid voluntary work for charity.

Religious Workers

Religious workers are people seeking to undertake preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work in the UK. They must intend to perform the duties they previously carried out in an overseas organisation or intend to work in a religious order with permanent commitment, like a monastery or convent.

Government-Authorised Exchanges

This applies to those looking to enter the UK through a scheme approved by the government that aims to share best practice, experience and knowledge. Such schemes also allow individuals to experience the social and cultural life of the UK but cannot be used to bring unskilled labour into the UK or to fill a job vacancy. The sponsor is the body who controls the government-authorised exchange scheme and they must be supported by the UK government. Individual employers and organisations cannot benefit under this category in terms of sponsoring migrants.

International Agreements

This subcategory includes those entering the UK under a work contract covered by international law. It includes:

Private servants working in a diplomatic household or as an employee of an overseas government or international organisation can stay in the UK for up to six years.

The Youth Mobility Scheme

The youth mobility scheme allows young people from participating countries to experience life in the UK.
A private sponsor licence is not required. However, the applicant must be a citizen of one of the following countries:

British overseas citizens, British overseas territories citizens and British nationals (overseas) may also apply under this scheme; they do not require a sponsor.