Skilled migrant workers get identity cards for foreign nationals

skilled migrant, migrant workers, uk border agency, foreign nationals, national 06 January 2010
From today, identity cards for foreign nationals are being rolled out to another category of migrant: skilled workers and their dependants.

In November 2008, the UK Border Agency started issuing compulsory identity cards to certain categories of non-European foreign nationals when they were granted permission to extend their stay in the UK. Since then the UK Border Agency has twice widened the range of categories that require the identity card - for more information about who needs an identity card, download the table from the right side of this page.

If a migrant in one of these categories applies to extend their stay in the UK, they must enrol their biometrics (fingerprints and facial image) before the Agency decides whether to give them permission to stay. If their application is successful, they will be given an identity card.

The card provides a simple way of confirming the holder's nationality, identity and immigration status in the UK. It shows whether they have the right to work or study legitimately under the UK's points-based system for immigration, and helps them to access public services.

The changes do not affect the settled population, foreign nationals who are seeking to settle here, or applicants in other immigration categories (who continue to receive a vignette in their passport when they extend their stay).

Tags: skilled migrant , migrant workers , uk border agency , foreign nationals , national

send to a friend Send to a friend printable version Printable version comments Comments(0)