Portugal Residency (EU) - Golden Visa Programme
The Golden Visa Program launched by the Portuguese Authorities in October 2012 is a fast track for foreign investors from non-EU countries to obtain a fully valid residency permit in Portugal ("Golden Visa").
Under the Golden Visa program, non-EU citizens simply need to carry out one of the investments set out in the law to qualify to obtain a residency permit in Portugal. This residency permit will allow the investor to enter and/or live in Portugal and to travel freely within the vast majority of European countries (Schengen area).
Aimed at attracting foreign investment to Portugal, the Golden Visa is a very straightforward and flexible program, with simple and clear legal requirements. With extremely reduced minimum stay requirements, the Golden Visa is clearly one of the most attractive residency programs for investors in the world.
Location: South-Western Europe;
Time Difference: GMT +1;
Total Area: 92,212 Km2;
Population: 2014 Estimate – 10,427,301;
Language: Portuguese, Mirandes;
Age Structure: 0-14 years: 16.1%, 16-64 years: 65.7%, 65 years and over: 18.1%;
Life expectancy at birth: 78.7 years;
Religion: Catholicism: 81%, Other Christianity: 3.3%, Others: 0.6%, No Religion: 6.8%, Undeclared: 8.3%
Government type: Unitary Semi – Presidential constitutional republic;
For the main applicant:
- Not being an EU or EEA citizen ;
- Not having been convicted of a crime punishable by more than 1 year imprisonment;
- Investment of at least €280,000 in Portuguese real estate;
- Or an investment leading to the creation of at least 10 permanent new jobs in Portugal;
- Or an investment of at least €1M in financial products or company shares;
- the investment must be kept for at least 5 years.
Residency Requirement :
- Under the "Golden Visa" program there are no maximum stay requirements, but you are required to spend at least 7 days in Portugal, not necessarily consecutive, each year for 5 years;
- Residency must be renewed after year 1, year 3 and year 5. The Portuguese border agency may require to see evidence that you complied with minimum stay requirements for renewal of visa and to issue permanent residency;
- The investment (real estate or bank deposit) must remain in place to maintain residency status;
Benefits of Golden Visa Program:
- Free entry to Portugal
- Visa free travel to schengen countries.
- Free to Live, work and study in Portugal;
- No tax on worldwide income;
- No maximum age limit;
- Option to obtain permanent residency after 5 years;
- Option to acquire Portuguese citizenship after 6 years;
- Residency extended to dependent adult children up to 25 years old;
Upon maintaining Portuguese residency for 6 years citizenship can be applied. There are only 4 requirements for an adult to acquire citizenship by naturalization:
- To be over 18 years old;
- To have held legal residency for at least 6 years;
- To have "sufficient" knowledge of the Portuguese language;
- No to have been sentenced for a crime that might be punishable by 3 or more years imprisonment under Portuguese law.
- Visa application Government fees: €513.75 per initial and renewal application
- Visa initial issue Government fees:€5,137.50 per visa holder (50% of this in the case of under-18 yr children)
- Visa renewal Government fees (at the end of years 1 and 3):€2,568.75 per visa holder
*The government fees mentioned above is correct as of November 2014 and is subject to change as per the government regulation. Please contact us for updated government application fees.
Other fees associated with the program include legal fees, service fees related to the background verification and validation of source of funds. These up-front fees are non-refundable and they vary depending on the number of dependents, country of origin, residence and other retained services. Contact us for more details.
Please contact us for more information, to book an appointment, or to start the process.